Skip to main content

All Wrapped Up

For Valentine's Day Katie Beth unwrapped an over sized, super soft, bright red towel from Brad. His gifts always have a special meaning so I waited for the full explanation. He explained to Katie Beth that when she is cold and alone he wants her to feel safe and warm all wrapped up in a big hug from him. It was a very sweet moment between a daddy and his little girl.

I think John Mayer song Daughters has a lot of truth in it regarding the relationship between a daddy and his daughter.

Lyrics to Daughters

I know a girl she puts the color inside of my world.
She's just like a maze, where all of the walls all continually change
And I've done all I can to stand on the the steps, with my heart in my hands
Now I started to think maybe it's got nothing to do with me

Fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers, who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too

Oh you see that skin, it's the same she's been standing in
Since the day, she saw him walking away
Now she's left cleaning up the mess he made

On behalf of every man looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of the world


The great news is that wherever your earthly father leaves off your heavenly father delights in picking up. You are precious and honored in my sight, and....I love you" (Isaiah 43:4) If life leaves you feeling cold and abandoned picture yourself wrapped in a bright red, super soft, huge towel of love.

I pray you always know your worth, feel his warmth and treasure his relationship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tick, tick, tick...

When I was fresh out of college I went to work at a place where my boss told me I was too idealistic and optimistic. He went on to say Deana in time you will come to know your limitations. His statement cut me like a knife. Sadly the place I worked was a church and my boss an older minister whose journey left him burned out. I know a lot of people who are trapped with him in a place where disappointment and pain have wrapped their heart so tightly that their purpose has been traded for provision. The unique dream God deposited in them has become submissive to the soul's truth. Their resignation from their God appointed purposes quietly submitted. Their life secure, stable, responsible... and boring. Something is missing. Easter Sunday we traveled to the church where my parents attend. On the way we passed an establishment that was a known swingers hangout. We were happy to find it had closed. I commented, "I am so glad they closed. That is an answer to prayer." We had a...

Where I am from.......310, 512, 915, 903, 214, 917, 815

I got a confirmation e-mail for my daughter's session to Horse Camp in Dallas. I looked through it and noticed the contact number is a 512 area code. That's Austin, I thought to myself. Must be her cell. When we moved from Dallas to Fort Worth I did not change my cell number. In fact the area codes listed in the title are friends of mine who no longer live in that area code but kept their number. We keep our numbers due to contractual obligations. Or we keep it to remain connected to our contacts. And of course convenience plays into this as well. It occurred to me that these 3 digits are part of our story. They tell where we are from. As a life coach I often hear the following. "These people knew me at this stage of my life but that is not me anymore. I have changed. I am afraid to reconnect with them. I hope they do not see me how I was." Their fear seems to stem from a moral failure,a dissolved marriage or the perception of unmet potential. The basic question is ...

From Vanilla to Chai Latte

For the majority of my life my closest friendships were white upper middle class conservative christians . This homogeneous environment was mainly due to the school and the church I attended. It was not a conscience thing by myself or my family. In contrast my closest friendships today are spicy. My friends hail from Canada, Estonia, Africa, and Boston. Our common thread is the preschool we selected to put our children in. Through playdates , class parties, and fundraisers we have grown closer. Three years later we are closer than ever even though none of our children attend the same school. Three of the four moms are strong Christians and have their own ministries separate from their home congregation. (What a novel concept.) One is completely disconnected from any church. All are remarkable blessings. I have been stretched in faith, spices and parenting as our friendships have grown. I would like to take a minute to share a bit about each of them. Roman's mom- Elizabeth blows ...