Skip to main content

Totally Undone

I found myself completely unprepared for a conversation at my front door tonight. Twenty four hours ago a mom on our block asked me to watch her seven year old daughter. Her husband had been out of work and now they needed to move out of their home and while she packed could her daughter stay with me. This turned into spending the night, watching her today, and a very bizarre conversation tonight.

In preparation to go trick-or-treating I asked both girls to shower and wash their hair. I could tell when I began to blow dry the little girl's hair she was not sure how to act. I asked if anyone had ever dried her hair before she said "No." For the last 7 years no one had ever taken time to blow her hair. This new knowledge sent a dart of sadness into my heart.

We went with trick-or-treating, to a fall festival, she spent the night, went with us to church, and the girls played all day. Periodically she would come to me give me a big hug and thank me for the things I would normally do for Katie Beth. She was so grateful.

At six o'clock her mom came to pick her up and she started crying. She did not want to leave. I was not expecting this reaction. Her mom's response was "I know you would rather live with Katie Beth." Again I was shocked. My neighbor then shares with me that her sister's seven month old is now legally theirs and would Brad & I like to adopt him. I am even more shocked. I promise to get her information for people who can help her put him up for adoption. And now the bombshell, she reveals that she is expecting again.

At this point you could have blown on me and I think I would have fallen over. My heart was just going nuts trying to process the hurting daughter, the unwanted seven month old, and the news that another child was being thrown in with her current four. I was totally undone. Brad came home to see them walking down the street and find his wife sobbing on the floor.

This whole thing does not add up for me Lord. Why do they get more kids while we are left with our desire for more children unmet? As you can imagine this started a flood of questions for God accompanied by overwhelming feelings. Brad held me as I cried and cried. Eventually he said, "Deana you are being flooded with thoughts. Where are these from. Remember today's sermon. " He was right. I was being attacked by a flood of thoughts that were stealing my joy and peace. I was letting circumstances and feelings undermine my trust in God.

We sat down to the table for dinner. I read tonight's study. The words were indeed timely.

Joy In November
These things have I spoken . . . that your Joy may be full.

The hallmark of a true follower of Mine is Joy.

Not a surface pleasure at life's happenings, a something that is reflected from without, but a welling up from within of that happiness that can only come from a heart at peace, secure in its friendship with Me.

Joy, strong and calm, attracts men to Me.

How many who claim Me Lord reflect a dull Christ, and wonder that the world turns rather to the glitter and tinsel of that world's pleasures.

Truly My followers deny Me in so doing. I am a Glorified Christ. A Christ of Triumphant Conquest.

Alas! My followers point too often to the grave-clothes of the tomb. Still learning to love and laugh.


I know to laugh and love even in the days with pain sounds a bit pollyanna. However, I had already gone to my Father for healing. By trusting him with my future peace and joy were restored and hope was planted.

Proverbs 24:14 Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Observations of the Circus

I took Katie Beth and two of her friends to the circus this summer. I jotted down the following observations while I was there. 1. People attending actually dress as clowns. WHOLE families showed up in clown attire. Which leads me to the obvious question: Why? It is 5 million degrees and the way your clown make up is running down your face scares me. 2. Watching the acrobats perform I was reminded of a fantastic book I read this summer. Think Differently, Live Differently by Bob Hamp. You should read it. 3. What leads one to the following declaration, " Mom when I grow up I want to train zebras." ? 4. When we were led in the National anthem I made the scientific discovery that by and large Texans can sing pretty darn good. 5. Not sure what this is about but I was very jealous of the sheen of the horses' hair. Seriously how do they get that beautiful shine? I think my hair is having a mid-life crisis. 6. Souvenirs: Boys want a sword. Girls want a stuffed animal. Hmmm, boy

Something Borrowed for Someone Blue

Wednesday mornings are sacred. I drive to a church in Argyle to meet with a group of ladies none of which I have much in common with on the surface. There is a bold grandmother whose husband is battling cancer, a sassy single mom of two girls, a spunky newlywed who has 9 children, a feisty single professional working with a start-up company offering mortgages specifically tailored for public servants, a generous grandmother whose husband is a non believer, a kind mom battling very painful physical ailments and a beautiful mom of two and ministry leader. We are supposed to be studying a book called Nurture by Lisa Bevere . Somewhere along the path we stopped studying nurture and became nurture. The allotted time has shifted. We share each other's lives more and discuss the latest chapter of the book less. I think Lisa would be proud because we are living out what she has written about. “Women –daughters and mothers- of all ages need to awaken and recover their capacity to nurture ju

Mother's Day: Can I please get a do over?

Mother's Day is sooo overrated. Perhaps this has not been the case for you but for several of my friends last Sunday's disappointment produced a flood of tears still trickling days later. I am not sure of all the reasons this day has become such a letdown, but it has for many. I know expectations play a role, then there is the whole confusion of who honors who, and how they should be honored. So I want to help you out with a few observations. Guys do not tell your wife, "But your not my mom." This will be met with a waterfall of tears. Daughters do not say to your mom, "What have YOU planned for Mother's Day? Remember this year I am a mom too?" And in general avoid statements like,"You're JUST a step mom do you celebrate mother's day?" And guys, we really do want to honor your mom but PLEASE do not make us feel like sloppy seconds or an afterthought. It hurts. After a few days to ponder this I think several forces are at play. First are