Skip to main content

The Opposite of Evil is Truth


I picked up the book Lies Women Believe a couple of years ago at Half Price Books. As I recall it seems like someone had recommended it to me. It sat on a shelf until 5 weeks ago when I found a group of ladies studying it and signed up. It has led me on a path I never imagined with an amazing group of ladies. My heart had lies throughout and I had no clue. Seriously HAD NO CLUE! The more I learned the more I began to see God's truth about me.

Week after week I have repeatedly gone to God and asked Him to reveal truth to me. He has been faithful to send me glimpses of how He views me and how He intends to use me. It has been both humbling and healing. Yesterday it felt as if He went to great lengths to tell me His truth about me. I had three completely unexpected interactions with friends who shared affirmations of specific gifts in me. As my head hit the pillow I was overwhelmed, in a good way.

God has a knack for swiftly sandwiching my spiritual experiences around a great piece of teaching. Yesterday I attended a transforming teaching by Bob Hamp on The Hidden Heart. I learned that the opposite of evil is actually truth. He taught that God simply desires for us to exhange what we know is a sin, a lie, or a defense mechanism for truth. And if we don't know what these things are? Ask God, He will reveal that too!

As he talked I imagined a child producing a dirty diaper and then telling their parent no thanks I can clean it up. The child just doesn't get it. The parent knows all the child has ingested, has an inclination of future production, and amazingly still remains in the picture.

In the same way I picture God as He watches all I ingest. His steadfast presence remains even though He already knows the trappings I call self preservation will yield a big smelly mess. He stays in the picture and offers to change me. And yet I say "No thanks, I'VE got this, no really I'LL just work harder and focus MY mind so I can change this. God you feel free to cheer for ME" Seems ridiculous BUT so familiar at the same time. I am so attached to my "natural production" it never occurs to me I was originally fashioned to NOT produce this. This product does not accomplish His purpose in me.

Bob continued to teach. As I listened I really liked the idea of going to God with my yuck (sin, lie, or self preservation)and trading it for His truth. I have to admit sometimes there is a slight hesitation as my hand opens to give "the well honed defense mechanism" in exchange for His best for me. But I am getting quicker!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Observations of the Circus

I took Katie Beth and two of her friends to the circus this summer. I jotted down the following observations while I was there. 1. People attending actually dress as clowns. WHOLE families showed up in clown attire. Which leads me to the obvious question: Why? It is 5 million degrees and the way your clown make up is running down your face scares me. 2. Watching the acrobats perform I was reminded of a fantastic book I read this summer. Think Differently, Live Differently by Bob Hamp. You should read it. 3. What leads one to the following declaration, " Mom when I grow up I want to train zebras." ? 4. When we were led in the National anthem I made the scientific discovery that by and large Texans can sing pretty darn good. 5. Not sure what this is about but I was very jealous of the sheen of the horses' hair. Seriously how do they get that beautiful shine? I think my hair is having a mid-life crisis. 6. Souvenirs: Boys want a sword. Girls want a stuffed animal. Hmmm, boy

Mother's Day: Can I please get a do over?

Mother's Day is sooo overrated. Perhaps this has not been the case for you but for several of my friends last Sunday's disappointment produced a flood of tears still trickling days later. I am not sure of all the reasons this day has become such a letdown, but it has for many. I know expectations play a role, then there is the whole confusion of who honors who, and how they should be honored. So I want to help you out with a few observations. Guys do not tell your wife, "But your not my mom." This will be met with a waterfall of tears. Daughters do not say to your mom, "What have YOU planned for Mother's Day? Remember this year I am a mom too?" And in general avoid statements like,"You're JUST a step mom do you celebrate mother's day?" And guys, we really do want to honor your mom but PLEASE do not make us feel like sloppy seconds or an afterthought. It hurts. After a few days to ponder this I think several forces are at play. First are

Something Borrowed for Someone Blue

Wednesday mornings are sacred. I drive to a church in Argyle to meet with a group of ladies none of which I have much in common with on the surface. There is a bold grandmother whose husband is battling cancer, a sassy single mom of two girls, a spunky newlywed who has 9 children, a feisty single professional working with a start-up company offering mortgages specifically tailored for public servants, a generous grandmother whose husband is a non believer, a kind mom battling very painful physical ailments and a beautiful mom of two and ministry leader. We are supposed to be studying a book called Nurture by Lisa Bevere . Somewhere along the path we stopped studying nurture and became nurture. The allotted time has shifted. We share each other's lives more and discuss the latest chapter of the book less. I think Lisa would be proud because we are living out what she has written about. “Women –daughters and mothers- of all ages need to awaken and recover their capacity to nurture ju