Skip to main content

Where I am from.......310, 512, 915, 903, 214, 917, 815

I got a confirmation e-mail for my daughter's session to Horse Camp in Dallas. I looked through it and noticed the contact number is a 512 area code. That's Austin, I thought to myself. Must be her cell. When we moved from Dallas to Fort Worth I did not change my cell number. In fact the area codes listed in the title are friends of mine who no longer live in that area code but kept their number. We keep our numbers due to contractual obligations. Or we keep it to remain connected to our contacts. And of course convenience plays into this as well. It occurred to me that these 3 digits are part of our story. They tell where we are from.

As a life coach I often hear the following. "These people knew me at this stage of my life but that is not me anymore. I have changed. I am afraid to reconnect with them. I hope they do not see me how I was." Their fear seems to stem from a moral failure,a dissolved marriage or the perception of unmet potential. The basic question is "If they REALLY knew me would they love me, accept me, stay connected with me." This mindset has kept many a person from connecting with a past friend who too has evolved.....possibly to be a huge blessing and advocate for the new you. I love Brandon Heath's song I am not who I Was. I recommend you click on the link and watch the song's video on You Tube. It is powerful.

Back to your area code. I am not sure where you have come from BUT the last part of your life need not be defined by it. Sometimes we stay connected to our past due to contractual obligations or inner vows. I will never cross the Red River. I will never step foot in a church again.I will never speak to them. I will never get married again. Without realizing it you have just superglued your past to your present. You must break that contract.

Sometimes we remain stuck to our past due to relationships. I can remember in my early 20's attending a conference that was outside my normal church experience. I kept thinking "Oh please do not let anyone I know see me. I do not want them to think...." And so I was willing to stay stuck in my old relationship with God due to the fear of how my relationships would react. Sad but true. And I see this in the lives of my clients as well. They get stuck because they do not want to disappoint a relationship. Even a really dysfunctional relationship.

Convenience seems to rule supreme. Walking away from how the past defines you is never convenient. In fact it often requires thinking about what you are thinking about. In fact it takes a conscience effort to decide what is worth keeping in your thought patterns and what should be thrown out. This process is best accomplished when delegated to God.
"Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:10
Allow Him to speak into your thought life and create divine destiny in you. Follow this with soul searching to find the lies of the past that still define your current reality. Ask forgiveness for believing the lie and then ask God to reveal HIS truth about you.

817, 915, 214, are all former area codes of mine. With each comes set of memories that both enrich me and torment me. The digits serve as reminders of where I have been and how far I have come. And that is worth taking the time to ponder.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." II Corinthians 5:17.

Comments

Laina's Corner said…
Thank you for your post on "Where I am from." Just had a jolt of emotions today which brought in some past emotional experiences with a thud. I appreciate your words and scripture quote. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Observations of the Circus

I took Katie Beth and two of her friends to the circus this summer. I jotted down the following observations while I was there. 1. People attending actually dress as clowns. WHOLE families showed up in clown attire. Which leads me to the obvious question: Why? It is 5 million degrees and the way your clown make up is running down your face scares me. 2. Watching the acrobats perform I was reminded of a fantastic book I read this summer. Think Differently, Live Differently by Bob Hamp. You should read it. 3. What leads one to the following declaration, " Mom when I grow up I want to train zebras." ? 4. When we were led in the National anthem I made the scientific discovery that by and large Texans can sing pretty darn good. 5. Not sure what this is about but I was very jealous of the sheen of the horses' hair. Seriously how do they get that beautiful shine? I think my hair is having a mid-life crisis. 6. Souvenirs: Boys want a sword. Girls want a stuffed animal. Hmmm, boy

Mother's Day: Can I please get a do over?

Mother's Day is sooo overrated. Perhaps this has not been the case for you but for several of my friends last Sunday's disappointment produced a flood of tears still trickling days later. I am not sure of all the reasons this day has become such a letdown, but it has for many. I know expectations play a role, then there is the whole confusion of who honors who, and how they should be honored. So I want to help you out with a few observations. Guys do not tell your wife, "But your not my mom." This will be met with a waterfall of tears. Daughters do not say to your mom, "What have YOU planned for Mother's Day? Remember this year I am a mom too?" And in general avoid statements like,"You're JUST a step mom do you celebrate mother's day?" And guys, we really do want to honor your mom but PLEASE do not make us feel like sloppy seconds or an afterthought. It hurts. After a few days to ponder this I think several forces are at play. First are

Something Borrowed for Someone Blue

Wednesday mornings are sacred. I drive to a church in Argyle to meet with a group of ladies none of which I have much in common with on the surface. There is a bold grandmother whose husband is battling cancer, a sassy single mom of two girls, a spunky newlywed who has 9 children, a feisty single professional working with a start-up company offering mortgages specifically tailored for public servants, a generous grandmother whose husband is a non believer, a kind mom battling very painful physical ailments and a beautiful mom of two and ministry leader. We are supposed to be studying a book called Nurture by Lisa Bevere . Somewhere along the path we stopped studying nurture and became nurture. The allotted time has shifted. We share each other's lives more and discuss the latest chapter of the book less. I think Lisa would be proud because we are living out what she has written about. “Women –daughters and mothers- of all ages need to awaken and recover their capacity to nurture ju