Skip to main content

Getting what I deserve

On this particular Saturday I was downstairs in the office listening to a podcast. I thought I heard Brad and Katie Beth laughing really hard through the headphones. I WAS WRONG. Brad came down with a look on his face that is best described as terror. He needed me upstairs. Katie Beth had been crying really hard, not laughing. As he was blow drying her hair she leaned on a vase causing it to shatter. Her finger was split wide open. Blood was everywhere. Let me restate that A LOT OF BLOOD WAS EVERYWHERE!!! The floor, the sink, the counter, the mirror, their clothes...EVERYWHERE. I applied pressure to the cut. Eventually we determined that a trip to the E.R. was not necessary. Brad began cleaning up the blood and broken glass. Eventually the blood clotted and I sent Katie Beth to her room to recover.

As we continued cleaning the mess Brad and I shared a tense conversation. He was angry because he had told her not to lean on the vase and she disobeyed. "Deana she could have......." a million worst case scenarios spilled out. I stopped him and said, "She wasn't, she was protected. We were protected. It is time to rejoice."

I went in to talk with Katie Beth. Her first question was hard. "Mom did I get what I deserved or was this a consequence?" I paused. I prayed. I hugged her. Eventually I said,"If you mean is God in heaven looking down and happy you got hurt because you disobeyed your daddy then NO that is not the case. God is never happy about His children being hurt. I do not know what the true consequence is for your accident because things could have been so much worse. You could have lost a finger. You could have hurt your eyes very badly. It seems to me like you were protected. I do know that anytime we disobey we should not be allowed in God's presence or have His protection so you did not get what you deserved either."

After that Brad came in and we talked to her about the selfishness of her disobedience. She asked Brad for forgiveness. Brad forgave her and engulfed her small frame in his arms. Then we prayed to ask God help her obey the next time. And then we thanked God for protecting her from the consequences and providing Jesus as way to continue to be in His prescence. We thanked Him for His forgiveness. And we thanked Him for His Holy Spirit that can help Katie Beth the next time.

Nuggets:

Disobedience hurts you and the ones who love you.

Fear leads to what ifs and what ifs steal our joy.

Lies are planted in trauma. The thought, am I getting what I deserve or is this a consequence, shows a root lie. "I alone control my destiny." If I am good enough all will go well or if I am bad enough I will be punished. In my experiences with God bad occurs, good occurs but His provision, protection, and plan for my life always bring me to a place that serves HIM best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Observations of the Circus

I took Katie Beth and two of her friends to the circus this summer. I jotted down the following observations while I was there. 1. People attending actually dress as clowns. WHOLE families showed up in clown attire. Which leads me to the obvious question: Why? It is 5 million degrees and the way your clown make up is running down your face scares me. 2. Watching the acrobats perform I was reminded of a fantastic book I read this summer. Think Differently, Live Differently by Bob Hamp. You should read it. 3. What leads one to the following declaration, " Mom when I grow up I want to train zebras." ? 4. When we were led in the National anthem I made the scientific discovery that by and large Texans can sing pretty darn good. 5. Not sure what this is about but I was very jealous of the sheen of the horses' hair. Seriously how do they get that beautiful shine? I think my hair is having a mid-life crisis. 6. Souvenirs: Boys want a sword. Girls want a stuffed animal. Hmmm, boy

Mother's Day: Can I please get a do over?

Mother's Day is sooo overrated. Perhaps this has not been the case for you but for several of my friends last Sunday's disappointment produced a flood of tears still trickling days later. I am not sure of all the reasons this day has become such a letdown, but it has for many. I know expectations play a role, then there is the whole confusion of who honors who, and how they should be honored. So I want to help you out with a few observations. Guys do not tell your wife, "But your not my mom." This will be met with a waterfall of tears. Daughters do not say to your mom, "What have YOU planned for Mother's Day? Remember this year I am a mom too?" And in general avoid statements like,"You're JUST a step mom do you celebrate mother's day?" And guys, we really do want to honor your mom but PLEASE do not make us feel like sloppy seconds or an afterthought. It hurts. After a few days to ponder this I think several forces are at play. First are

Something Borrowed for Someone Blue

Wednesday mornings are sacred. I drive to a church in Argyle to meet with a group of ladies none of which I have much in common with on the surface. There is a bold grandmother whose husband is battling cancer, a sassy single mom of two girls, a spunky newlywed who has 9 children, a feisty single professional working with a start-up company offering mortgages specifically tailored for public servants, a generous grandmother whose husband is a non believer, a kind mom battling very painful physical ailments and a beautiful mom of two and ministry leader. We are supposed to be studying a book called Nurture by Lisa Bevere . Somewhere along the path we stopped studying nurture and became nurture. The allotted time has shifted. We share each other's lives more and discuss the latest chapter of the book less. I think Lisa would be proud because we are living out what she has written about. “Women –daughters and mothers- of all ages need to awaken and recover their capacity to nurture ju