Skip to main content

Lunch Buddy

"Mom I ate lunch by myself at school today." Instantly I wondered what Katie Beth had done to keep her from the table with the other children. Children are seated by themselves for two reasons:Peanut allergy or as a consequence.

I ask "Why did you have to sit by yourself KB? " She answered that she had forgotten her money in the classroom and come into the lunch room after all the seats were taken. "Mom it was wonderful. There was peace and quiet and I could hear God clearly. It was perfect I wish I could sit with God everyday." I was amazed. About this time Brad chimed in "Katie Beth sometimes I spend my time with God as my lunch buddy." They talked back and forth about how great it was to have this precious time with the Lord.

Next I heard Brad give Katie Beth a warning. "Princess remember Satan tries to turn the good things of God into bad. Satan is going to tell you when you are alone with God that you do not have any friends and that because all have rejected you your only choice is to go to God. This is not true. It is a lie and you tell that rejection to leave you alone you are a precious child of God just like your mommy sings to you."

I have had a couple of weeks to ponder this. I eat lunch by myself most days. Sometimes God is my lunch buddy other times it is Facebook or twitter. Is this a virtual way I keep myself from feeling rejected and lonely?

Honestly the thing that humbles me most is both my husband and daughter seek out time with the Lord in the middle of the day and though I very easily could, I don't. Truth be told I get WAY more excited when Ginny calls and asks me to meet in Argyle for Mexican. Why do I get more excited about spending time with others than with HIM? And then there is the idol of Mexican food (wink) I am actually pondering giving it up for lent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tick, tick, tick...

When I was fresh out of college I went to work at a place where my boss told me I was too idealistic and optimistic. He went on to say Deana in time you will come to know your limitations. His statement cut me like a knife. Sadly the place I worked was a church and my boss an older minister whose journey left him burned out. I know a lot of people who are trapped with him in a place where disappointment and pain have wrapped their heart so tightly that their purpose has been traded for provision. The unique dream God deposited in them has become submissive to the soul's truth. Their resignation from their God appointed purposes quietly submitted. Their life secure, stable, responsible... and boring. Something is missing. Easter Sunday we traveled to the church where my parents attend. On the way we passed an establishment that was a known swingers hangout. We were happy to find it had closed. I commented, "I am so glad they closed. That is an answer to prayer." We had a...

Where I am from.......310, 512, 915, 903, 214, 917, 815

I got a confirmation e-mail for my daughter's session to Horse Camp in Dallas. I looked through it and noticed the contact number is a 512 area code. That's Austin, I thought to myself. Must be her cell. When we moved from Dallas to Fort Worth I did not change my cell number. In fact the area codes listed in the title are friends of mine who no longer live in that area code but kept their number. We keep our numbers due to contractual obligations. Or we keep it to remain connected to our contacts. And of course convenience plays into this as well. It occurred to me that these 3 digits are part of our story. They tell where we are from. As a life coach I often hear the following. "These people knew me at this stage of my life but that is not me anymore. I have changed. I am afraid to reconnect with them. I hope they do not see me how I was." Their fear seems to stem from a moral failure,a dissolved marriage or the perception of unmet potential. The basic question is ...

From Vanilla to Chai Latte

For the majority of my life my closest friendships were white upper middle class conservative christians . This homogeneous environment was mainly due to the school and the church I attended. It was not a conscience thing by myself or my family. In contrast my closest friendships today are spicy. My friends hail from Canada, Estonia, Africa, and Boston. Our common thread is the preschool we selected to put our children in. Through playdates , class parties, and fundraisers we have grown closer. Three years later we are closer than ever even though none of our children attend the same school. Three of the four moms are strong Christians and have their own ministries separate from their home congregation. (What a novel concept.) One is completely disconnected from any church. All are remarkable blessings. I have been stretched in faith, spices and parenting as our friendships have grown. I would like to take a minute to share a bit about each of them. Roman's mom- Elizabeth blows ...