Skip to main content

The Letter

"May I have some paper and a pen?" asked John Dawson to the man who would be his executioner. "I want to write my son a letter." In the novel Dawn we do not learn what was written in the letter. We are left with the question; What exactly does a man write to his son for the last time?

This part of the book triggered memories of a letter I wrote to Katie Beth the night before my exploratory surgery. The idea of her growing up without me unhurled pain the likes I had never known. I prayed and asked God to help me as I wrote. The words flew onto the page. I shared my hopes and dreams for her future, words of wisdom I hoped she would treasure, and my faith.

My surgery went great and the letter was never delivered. I however was changed through the process. I have reread the letter a number of times. Usually I seek it when my world has gone fuzzy and I need the clarity found best in that very scary moment. What was originally intended as a road map for my daughter has turned into a plan of action and purpose for me. I am a better person for heeding my own advice and aspiring to the hopes and dreams written on that page. I could never of imagined how much a letter written in fear could turn into such a phenomenal blessing.

And now I will ask you to consider writing your own letter. What would you say if you knew this would be your last communique? It is amazing what is produced when the heart is squeezed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tick, tick, tick...

When I was fresh out of college I went to work at a place where my boss told me I was too idealistic and optimistic. He went on to say Deana in time you will come to know your limitations. His statement cut me like a knife. Sadly the place I worked was a church and my boss an older minister whose journey left him burned out. I know a lot of people who are trapped with him in a place where disappointment and pain have wrapped their heart so tightly that their purpose has been traded for provision. The unique dream God deposited in them has become submissive to the soul's truth. Their resignation from their God appointed purposes quietly submitted. Their life secure, stable, responsible... and boring. Something is missing. Easter Sunday we traveled to the church where my parents attend. On the way we passed an establishment that was a known swingers hangout. We were happy to find it had closed. I commented, "I am so glad they closed. That is an answer to prayer." We had a...

Where I am from.......310, 512, 915, 903, 214, 917, 815

I got a confirmation e-mail for my daughter's session to Horse Camp in Dallas. I looked through it and noticed the contact number is a 512 area code. That's Austin, I thought to myself. Must be her cell. When we moved from Dallas to Fort Worth I did not change my cell number. In fact the area codes listed in the title are friends of mine who no longer live in that area code but kept their number. We keep our numbers due to contractual obligations. Or we keep it to remain connected to our contacts. And of course convenience plays into this as well. It occurred to me that these 3 digits are part of our story. They tell where we are from. As a life coach I often hear the following. "These people knew me at this stage of my life but that is not me anymore. I have changed. I am afraid to reconnect with them. I hope they do not see me how I was." Their fear seems to stem from a moral failure,a dissolved marriage or the perception of unmet potential. The basic question is ...

Tis the Season to be Gentle

There is a layer of frost on the ground this morning. It's chill might as well be wrapped around my heart. My friends are hurting. A LOT of my friends are hurting A LOT. It seems the slightest momentum of Christmas spirit is halted by upsetting news. My current prayer list includes : A friend whose teenage daughter ran away with her lover, a friend whose fiance died of a heart attack 3 weeks after his proposal, a friend who has walked away from his amazing wife and his baby boy, two friends whose jobs are sucking the life out of them, one friend who is seriously ready for him to put a ring on it, another friend whose husband just lost his job, and the teeth of divorce are gnawing on yet another friend. Add to that those reeling from loved ones taken in death or caring for loved ones battling disease and the pain level is maxed out. I can honestly tell you my heart is ACHING for those I love during this season to be jolly. Looking at my calendar I recognize how busy this season can ...